But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Woman Driver and Other Scary Things

If you are keeping up, I actually have 2 1/2 trees decorated at this point. The 1/2 tree is a flame-retardant throw back from the late 1960's. I believe it was a gift from Kraig's parents and from the looks of it, it might have been the first tree they owned! You can see straight through to the base and some of the limbs are falling off. This is affectionately known as the "Charlie Brown" tree and we have it in the den as the kids' tree. Lausyn took on the daunting task of decorating it all by herself this year so we have ALL the ornaments front and center. The perfectionist in me wants to change it but the Mom in me doesn't. This is her start at making a home. The woman in her desires to create and nurture and prepare for those around her. It is up to me to fan that flame within her and encourage the way God has made her.

You know, the world has a lot of ideas and opinions about what we should be as women, as wives, as mothers but only our designer knows what we are and how we do it best. The world tries desperately to rob us of the roles that best suit us, the roles that will make us most content. Instead, the world tries to tell us that we should be like men, that we can be like men and in fact, we can be better than men. How discouraging! I don't want to be a man! I don't want the role of provider and protector! I don't want to get up when things go "bump" in the night. I don't want the responsibility of putting food on the table or keeping the lights on. I want to kiss the boo-boos and make the cookies and plan the birthday parties! I want to pick them up from school and read them bedtime stories and teach them God's word...from my living room! The world is a hard place and definitely no friend of grace. The world is not kind to women. As soon as you get a day over 19 or a few pounds over 110, off you go! It's impossible to keep up!

Thank God the more I study His word about my role as a women I realize this is FOR me, not against me! It lifts me up and crowns me with strength, wisdom, grace and beauty. It exhorts the differences and honors the softer side of me. It encourages me in every aspect of life! We shrink back from all that God has created us to be and as God said to Eve, "Your desire will be for your husband." This does not mean sexually. It means that she will desire his authority. She will try to usurp his leadership. GUILTY! How many times do we boot men, not just our husbands, but men in general out of the driver's seat? Then, when we are tired and don't want to drive anymore we can't find a man around who WANTS to drive, why? Because they don't remember how!! Our society is filled with passive men and dominate women and it is broken! I know because I lived it for years! (I know none of you can believe that if you know me!) Let me clarify. Kraig has never been my doormat, praise God, that is one of the things I love about him, he has my respect! But if I thought he wasn't getting things done fast enough then I would definitely walk around him even if I couldn't walk over him! Does that make sense? Can I get an, "Amen?"

You know when we start to get it right? When we realize that men being men and women being women doesn't conflict. When we aren't threatened every time a man tries to lead! Let's let men do what God has called them to do and go a step farther and praise them for it! Let's be content to be women...to have the door opened for us, to have him pursue us, to have him make the final decision for once. You will be amazed at what takes place in your passive, procrastinator of a man! He will start to listen when you have a request, he will step in to shelter you when things are tough and he will thank God for the woman He has created you to be! A wise woman indeed!

As for Lausyn, I am the one mother and wife that the Lord has given her to watch day in and day out. I write this for her. I write this for all of the women who struggle to be daily what God wants us to be to the world, to our families, co-workers, friends, spouses, children and churches. It isn't always easy but it is so rewarding...carry on Sister, carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment