But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18

Monday, December 20, 2010

Go Shopping with God

It is blog season is it not? Time off from work, time in the house...with kids...bored kids...who want to eat everything in sight. Time to look around the house and want to repaint, again, and redecorate, again. It probably actually saves me money to work not just for the simple fact that I am making money but it keeps me from changing things every six months or so. By the time I get home, cook dinner, clean up dishes, make lunches and help with homework I don't really care what color the walls are!! It's been nice though. I had a much needed 2 1/2 hour phone conversation with my best friend. (Don't judge me!) You know what I'm talking about. One of those times when things have been so hectic you haven't had time to catch up so you catch up. I did vacuum the entire house and straighten thoroughly in the process so I was pragmatic if nothing else!

As we were talking we touched on all kinds of things about life: love, staying married, raising kids, loving the Lord, aging, dying, decorating. Isn't it great to have that kind of connection with someone? Someone who accepts you for you - the good, the bad and the ugly. Oh, and there have been some uglies!! I have said some things to her that I wouldn't be caught dead saying to anyone else and she understands. She knows my heart as well as anyone. But Jesus, He knows my heart even better than her because He searches my heart. Sometimes I think there are things I can hide from Him or keep from Him. Sometimes I think if I don't verbalize something or bring it to His attention that He is oblivious. As if I can fool God as easily as I can fool people. But He knows me better than I know me. He knows the words before I say them, the thoughts before I have them and the actions before I do them. He knows the intents of my heart and I cannot be hidden from Him (Hebrews 4:12-13). I want my heart to be pure before Him.

Have you ever tried really hard to change the way you feel about a thing or a person? If you are bitter towards someone can you just stop? If you are angry or jealous or lustful can you just stop?

The longer I live the more I realize I can't just stop! This process of purity and sanctification is not of me! I am not capable of being any different on the inside on my own ability. I can change the outside. I can eat less, exercise more. Smile more, talk less. Be nice to the mean people in holiday traffic. (By the way, if you are wanting to test out "Love your neighbor as yourself," check out your local Target or Sams during Christmas - either will do.) This is what is so amazing about grace. Grace makes us different. God intervenes in our lives BY HIS GRACE and changes us. That is why I can say, "Jesus makes me who I am not!" I am a liar, a thief, a murderer, an adulterer, a gossip, a bitter, envious, jealous, malicious woman and if not for God I would live in those old clothes still. But, I have had a wardrobe change!

What a great idea for us as women! God has changed our wardrobe and given us new clothes! It says in Proverbs 31:25 that he clothes us with strength and dignity. It says in Galatians 3:27 that we are clothed in the righteousness of Christ. New clothes! So, what do we do when we get new clothes? We throw out the old clothes because they no longer fit. They don't look good on us anymore. If I am content wearing old clothes then what need do I have for new ones? This is what confuses most of the world: new clothes one day, old clothes one day. New clothes in this setting, old clothes in that setting. Just like the church at Laodicea - lukewarm. It's as if people are wondering, "who are you anyway?"

Authenticity. Christ-likeness. This is what God calls us to when He saves us. Reflect Christ. Make His glory known. In all settings, to everyone. Why? Because we are wearing His clothes! There's no greater compliment then for someone to want your clothes! But, this is a high calling. Reflect God. Not only that, but all the time! How? Know Him. Study Him. Love Him. Do you love Him? Is He the greatest thing that has ever happened to you? Is He your abundant life and abiding joy? I could say that right now but I might feel otherwise tomorrow. Wait for it. Ask for it. See the trial through. For the testing of your faith produces perseverance and let perseverance have its perfect work that you may be complete lacking nothing (James 1:3-4). AND best of all? People will notice your new outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment