But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Me and Peter...Still Growing in Grace

As of December, the “Growing in Grace Today” blog is four years old. I have been writing at this address for four years and ALOT has been said here, not all good. Proverbs 10:19 says, “where there are many words, transgression is not lacking”, and this blog is no exception.

When I began the blog I didn’t have a real, concrete reason for starting. The main thing I wanted to do was write. And I wasn’t sure what I wanted to write about. Sometimes I wanted to write about my life. Sometimes I wanted to share funny experiences. Sometimes I wanted to use it as a platform for my angst against certain people or circumstances. Sometimes I wanted to guide others on how to be “the best Mom, wife, friend etc;” using my pompous self as the example. And on a good day, when I yielded to the Spirit, I wanted to write about Jesus.

A few months ago, I started thinking that I would erase some of the earlier posts. The posts that were the former. The posts that, looking back, I was ashamed of. I found myself using the word of God as a mallet or an axe to fell the tree of judgment and condemnation. In other words, I wanted to pretty up my blog. I wanted to make it appear as presentable as possible.

At the same time, I began to think about the name. “Is it time for a “rebrand”? I chose the name 4 years ago and the Lord has done some serious work in my life since then. Maybe, it isn’t an accurate representation of what this blog is about…”

On the contrary, that is exactly what this blog is about! I am GROWING, active present tense, I am growing in the grace and knowledge of the Lord. As Paul said to the Philippians in 2:15, “so that you MAY BE blameless and innocent, children of God, without blemish”, and then he so aptly goes on to say, “not that I have obtained this yet! (3:13)” Paul expresses my heart!

I was immature...and I still am. The difference was, back then, I didn’t see it. The older I get, the more I realize how very little I know! I can’t tell you how to raise “boys to men” because I haven’t raised anyone yet! I can’t tell you how to “have your best marriage now” because we are both still living it out. I can’t tell you how to do anything with great success, but Jesus can.

So, the older posts will stay. Some of them I really despise. Some of them show a sinful, fleshly, proud heart. Forgive me. Those are the posts where my own agenda supercedes that of the Lord. Just like Peter can’t erase some of his worst times smeared on the pages of scripture, I can’t either. They have already been read. They have already been posted for the world to see. But hopefully, people will get to this post first.

And, isn’t this some of why we identify with Peter? He is REAL! He reacts as we would. I’m sure that didn’t help to assuage the shame he felt over some of his actions. But the Lord let them stay so that you and I might know even those who are true disciples fail. No wonder he was the one who penned, “but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity!”(2. Pet. 3:18)

After all of this time, just this week, the Lord has finally solidified in my heart why I have this blog: to bring glory to Him! That’s it. Although there are times that I share my personal experiences and how the Lord is working in my life, all of that is simply a means of showing His grace through my inadequacies.

This blog is a means of “teaching” scripture that God might “show us His ways, that we may know Him better, in order to find favor in His sight” (Ex. 33:13). That is it! I promise I will fail at this again. But, by God’s grace, I pray it is less and less. I pray that He will use this blog as a means of sending His word forth and transforming lives as He is transforming mine. Any good you receive here is Him and Him alone. So, today and every day, grow in the grace and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ..I’ll be right there with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment