But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 3:18

Thursday, March 3, 2011

And She Shall Be Called...Quiet???

Things have been quiet for way too long but I figured after a whole week on the tongue and guarding our mouths that maybe that was appropriate. I will say that I have been increasingly aware of what, when and how I say things however, our adversary, who is good at what he does, has somehow used this to catapult me into not wanting to say anything at all! It has almost crossed the line, okay, it has crossed the line, into fear. I was reminded today that God does not give us a Spirit of fear...He gives us a powerful, Holy Spirit that guides and controls our tongues when we submit to His authority!

Is there a lesson coming?? Why, I’m glad you asked, of course there is! The lesson to be learned in all of this is two-fold: First, Satan can take anything we are attempting to do for the glory of God and distort it if we let him. As humans we just don’t know the appropriate balance between lethargy and obsession...this would be called moderation. Ah, I am the queen of extremes!! I am all or nothing, hot or cold, hit or miss - no in between! This has served me well in some capacities but not well in others. I can get a task done, now - I won’t even kid you on that, detailed down to the minutia of it all! BUT! As far as addictions in my life, and mind you, addictions don’t have to be drugs and alcohol, we can make ANYTHING an addiction (aka idolatry). As far as addictions in my life I HAVE an addictive personality! I can go completely overboard with anything if given the chance! Exercise, food (yes, I do one so that I can do the other), bible study, parenting, being a “helper” to my husband (ladies you know what I’m talkin’ about), student, gardener etc; etc; etc; So, I have to constantly realign myself with scripture, reign myself in...look at Jesus! He is the perfect balance between grace and truth, He is moderation! He was passionate with patience. (Ummm, if I learn this one my sanctification will be complete). He was and still is correction with compassion. He is loving and discerning at the same time. This is what I long to be! I pray for it daily, indeed hourly at times, to be the balance of grace and truth that brings Him glory!

Which leads me to the next point, although it has tarried for a bit: The second thing that needs to be learned out of this “fearful oppression” is that sin will never leave us in this life! We will never be perfect! We will never be able to say all things with grace and compassion. We will never be able to say everything at the right time in the right way. We will never attain perfection as long as we are on this earth. It says in James that “she who is able to bridle the tongue is perfect.” Well, that ain’t me! And, never will be! That doesn’t mean that “I sin so that grace may abound”. That means that I give myself grace, not too much, but enough to see that perfection isn’t attainable. Then, I glory in confession and repentance which draws me back to the gospel again and again! If I reached perfection in any aspect of my life then Jesus died in vain! If I am able to reach the pinnacle of sinlessness on my own then I would do it and never look to the cross. The truth is ...I can’t, so I continue to fall on the mercy of the Lord to cleanse me, convict me, pick me up, dust me off and encourage me to keep going because He is faithful to complete the good work which He started in me!

I have to remember that sin persists and grace abounds. Let me say that again, sin persists and grace abounds! I hate my sin because it sent Jesus to the cross but I love the grace that the cross brings! How I cling to that grace! Grace that drives me to repentance. Grace that grants me forgiveness. Grace that is greater than all my sin!
“Marvelous grace of our loving Lord, grace that exceeds our sin and our guilt!
Yonder on Calvary’s mount outpoured! There where the blood of the lamb was spilt!
Grace, grace, God’s grace! Grace that will pardon and cleanse within!
Grace, grace God’s grace! Grace that is greater than ALL my sin!”

No comments:

Post a Comment